Sunday, April 12, 2015

Episode #5 - International Interpretations

Buenos Dias! Throughout the next 90 mins I, DJ Shaxx, shall lead you on a trip around the world, exploring interpretations of your favorite songs in alternate languages and innovative arrangements. I’ll spin songs from The Clash, Lou Reed, The Smiths, Beatles, Stones, Neil Young, Dolly Parton, Pink Floyd, Radiohead and more…. in Arabic, Spanish, Punjabi, Ukrainian, French, Portuguese and more.
This is Sonic Latitudes and today is International Interpretations.

I think I first became interested in foreign language covers (as they’re called) when I was in the 4th grade. My dad bought me the Police Record, GHOST IN THE MACHINE. I loved the whole thing start to finish. But what really stood out to me was a song called "Hungry for You (J'aurais toujours faim de toi)." Sting was singing in French. My 4th grade mind couldn’t fathom this “How did Sting speak French?” I think this was the first time I realized that people could be bilingual. After this, I was on the continual hunt for versions of songs in alternate languages or even songs sung by artists in their 2nd language.

Here's my playlist of favorite cover songs from across the globe:
  1. Maná - Tonto en La Lluvia
  2. Albert Pla - El Lado Mas Bestia De La Vida
  3. Cornershop - Norwegian Wood
  4. Ananda Shankar - Jumpin’ Jack Flash
  5. Sachal Studios Orchestra - Take Five
  6. The Police - Hungry For You (J'aurais Toujours Faim De Toi)
  7. David Bowie - Ragazzo Solo, Regazzo Sola
  8. Beck - Burro
  9. Rachid Taha - Rock El Casbah
  10. Mohamed Amer - Let’s Get It On
  11. Mashrou' Leila & Nile Rodgers - Get Lucky
  12. Vieux Farka Toure - Bullet the Blue Sky
  13. Bebel Gilberto - Harvest Moon
  14. Easy Star All-Stars - Human Nature
  15. Chiara - The Final Countdown
  16. The Ukrainians - Batyar (Big Mouth Strikes Again)
  17. Gypsy Kings - Hotel California
  18. Seu Jorge - Life On Mars?

No comments:

Post a Comment