Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Premiere of Sonic Latitudes

Last Friday afternoon, a lifelong dream came true for me. As I refreshed the inbox of my e-mail, I caught a glimpse of news that I had been anticipating for 48 hours: "Congratulations! You are our pick for the Sunday morning show." At long last, I got my own FM radio show.

After attending classes, building a demo and passing a test, I qualified for "on-air" in February of last year. Since then, I've been volunteering at WMPG - Southern Maine Community Radio (90.9/104.1 FM) - taking every substitute opportunity I could fit into my schedule. I've cut my teeth as a beginning disc jockey, playing jazz, blues, rock, metal, Latin and world music on a variety of shows.

One of the first international albums I owned seemed
like a perfect pick for Sonic Latitude's premiere show.
One of the shows which I created and enjoyed the most was "Around the World in 90 Minutes." The basic idea was to take the listener on a musical trip around the globe. Sometimes I'd play one tune per city, region or country and then fly to the next. I tried to play the songs in an sequence that related to the journey one would make while actually visiting these places. As I discovered, this takes an immense amount of planning. Shortly afterwards, I modified the show to be more sustainable. Each time that I was given free license to play "Around the World," I would try out new ideas. Finally, I began featuring two or three spotlighted genres of music (much more sustainable). This allowed me to go deeper with the selected songs and develop themes that might tie the genres together. This type of show not only gave me the chance to share my musical knowledge of genres around the globe, but it also pushed me to learn more about them. I love projects that inspire me to expand my understanding of subjects.

When the announcement went out that the 10:30-12noon Sunday slot was open for a year (while the regular DJ took a sabbatical), I jumped at the opportunity and auditioned with "Around the World in 90 Minutes." I got the call on Friday that I would be doing my first show on Sunday. I streamlined the name to Sonic Latitudes and began preparing for the first show. The short turn-around actually presented itself as a creative opportunity. I decided to use this premiere as a platform for sharing some of my early favorites from artists around the world and introduce myself to listeners. I did the whole thing with CDs from my trusty music collection.

The following is an excerpt from my opening monologue and the complete playlist from Sonic Latitude's first show.

Enjoy!
DJ SHAXX


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


"To kick off the set, I’m going to share a starting point for me as a world music listener. Maybe you can relate to this experience.


Two albums really helped broaden my musical horizons as a kid. When I was twelve years old, (in 1986) Paul Simon released his opus, Graceland (a record exploring the music of various African traditions). My father bought the vinyl the week of it’s release and we played that record endlessly in our house. Even now, when I hear these harmonies of Ladysmith Black Mambazo, sweet memories of my childhood home in San Diego, CA fill my mind.


In 1990 Paul Simon expanded his musical focus to South America with his album, “Rhythm of the Saints.”


Both of these Paul Simon records peaked my curiosity for things distant and unfamiliar. They helped me develop an appetite and appreciation for rhythms, melodies and words beyond my own world and culture.


I want to take this moment to thank my father, Tom, for buying those records and changing my life.


I remember the first time I heard Shaking the Tree - a collaboration with Peter Gabriel and Senegalese singer, Youssou N’Dour. Youssou’s vocals took me to new places as a listener. His range and the beautiful words he sang in Mbalax. This single song helped open the doors to so much West African music... Senegal, Mali, Gana.


This being my first show, I thought it would be interesting to browse my personal collection of music <stuff on tangible compact discs> and share some of my favorite songs. What you’ll hear are the foundational tunes that opened my eyes to music being made outside the United States. Outside of the lens of Western commercial music. This is regional music extending from cultural traditions and sometimes mixing modern sounds. Today, You’ll hear tunes from Ali Farka Toure, Waldemar Bastos, Salif Keita, The Melodians, Césaria Évora, Talvin Singh, Vijiya Anand and Tom Zé."

Sonic Latitudes #1 - 5/8/15

  1. Dama & D'Gary - The Fisherman's Return
  2. Paul Simon - Homeless
  3. Paul Simon - Born At The Right TIme
  4. Sting - Love Is The Seventh Wave
  5. Peter Gabriel & Youssou N’Dour - Shaking The Tree
  6. David Byrne - Make Believe Mambo
  7. Cesaria Evora - Sodade
  8. Salif Keita - Tekere
  9. Waldemar Bastos - N Gana
  10. Ernest Ranglin - Up On The Downstroke
  11. Badmarsh & Shri - Mathar
  12. Vijaya Anand - Neeve Nanna
  13. Talvin Singh - Butterfly
  14. Chico Science and Nacao Zumbi - Rivers, Pontes and Overdrives
  15. Tetes Raides - Un Ptit Air
  16. Bertrand Burgalat - Ma Recontre
  17. Sulo - Burhan Ocal and the Trakya All Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment